Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can Powder Blue Cichlids or Electric Yellow Cichlids live in a 10 gallon tank?

I have a 10 gallon tank and I really want powder blue cichlids or electric yellow cichlids or a combination. I know they get along in bigger tanks and that 30 gallons is recommended but i just don't have the space for a tank that big. If a 15 or 20 gallon tank could work I might be able to get one. If it is possible to have either of these fish in a 10 gallon, how many could i have? Please help.Can Powder Blue Cichlids or Electric Yellow Cichlids live in a 10 gallon tank?
The answer is yes and no. Electric yellow or Blue FRY can. In fact I grow my Pseudotropheus Flavus fry, along with any other species I get to spawn in a 15 for about a month. I then move them over to a juvenile grow out tank before I move them to my adult tank. So technically, yeah you can, but they'd have to be fry only. Juveniles and adults just are not going to work, I'm sorry.





I know you may not have room for a larger tank, but that's really what it's going to take. If you will not listen or follow this, then get ONE only. I'm sorry but you have to realize this:





With African cichlids, MALES are highly aggressive towards other males. Much like a Betta will not tolerate another Betta in it's area, a male will fight continuously with any other males if the space is too small and 10 gallons is far too small. The males will see each other all the time and fight, NO MATTER HOW MUCH ROCK YOU PUT IN. It's just not enough space. And when you buy a young group of Yellow or Blues for that matter, even the most experienced of keepers cannot accurately sex those fish at that age.





I breed several species of Africans, and GENERALLY speaking, you need to have a large group. Usually as my females are all still in their first full year of spawning, I'm getting between 12-18 fry per batch. It takes about a month of grow out to even start to GUESS if there's males and females. Males will on average grow up and larger much faster then females, but this is not a promise it's a male. I'm going into this to tell you, in a 10 gallon, even with juveniles, you aren't going to know until it's too late.





If you get the 20, you MIGHT be able to move up to 3 with the right amount of cover provided, and it would have to be a 20 long, not high.Can Powder Blue Cichlids or Electric Yellow Cichlids live in a 10 gallon tank?
If you put them in a 10 gallon tank you had better have at the most 3. I try to put all of mine in a 30 or higher but I have kept them in 10's. If you put them in something like a 10 or 20 you have to make sure they have lots of cover( rocks, caves plants). You will have to decide what type of cichlid you want. I just drove 260 miles to pick 5 Cynotalapia Afra White Top they only get 3 to 4 inches long and they change their color variation depending on there mood.Just ask your local petshop about the fishes size before you buy them.Also try to buy 1 male and 2 females. This will make it easier in a small space for the fish.
They wouldn't survive for long, because they would get stunted by being in such a puny tank. Did you think of mollies, platys, or guppies? they're almost as colorful and much more able to live in such a small environment.
neither of thease to types of cichlids should be in a 10 gallon tank not even one they require a lot more room for their territoral beheavor
well you could as long as you sell them or give them away after they become older
no, these fish get 5-6 inches long.


it would be like you sleeping in a closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment