Thursday, January 7, 2010

Is Korean red pepper powder different from red pepper powder from a Chinese super market?

I can't tell if it's the same powder.


I saw a bottle of red pepper powder from the spice section of a Chinese supermarket, but I can't tell if it's the same as korean red pepper powder.





Are they made from different peppers? Are they all the same?Is Korean red pepper powder different from red pepper powder from a Chinese super market?
Alex is correct, I am a former chef from Canada and worked in Asia, I do alot of cooking with Korean product, and powder chili's like chili pastes will vary in taste, and with pastes,Korean ones are hotter, smoother and a bit saltier, with dried powders,they vary mostly in heat levels, I bought a bottle like yourself one time, and failed to look at the label, now I love spicy food, but could not understand the molten temp of my dishes until I read the label, and found it was not chinese but Thailand bird chili's are 4th hottest in the world. So be careful how you use it, do not mistake it for the Mexican style or you will find your food inedible from the heat, I use hot sauce like most people use ketchup, I have arthritis and find the active ingredient in all chili's in my meals helps, the only thing I do not use it or chili flakes/powder/pastes on is my morning cereals.Is Korean red pepper powder different from red pepper powder from a Chinese super market?
Yes, they likely come from different chili peppers since korean peppers (kochu) are different from the kind used in Chinese cooking (tien tsin, for instance). Chinese cooking also makes use of cayenne and thai chili bird peppers, although it can't be clear what a generic bottle of red pepper powder from a Chinese supermarket will be from. If you're looking to make korean dishes, go with the korean style. Not all red pepper powders are the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment