Thursday, January 7, 2010

When do you start to use powder when changing a baby's diaper?

I was told you don't at first. I forget if or what the nurses said about when to start.When do you start to use powder when changing a baby's diaper?
i have never used it, and he's 8 months old, almost 9. it gets in their lungsWhen do you start to use powder when changing a baby's diaper?
Don't use anything, if your baby's skin is clean and dry then there is no need to use any products whatsoever. people used to use this and creams when nappies were not so effective at drawing the fluid away from the baby's skin. Nowadays, the likes of Pampers and Huggies and even the one I used (re-usable bamboo nappies) are so good that the skin barely gets wet and babies hardly get nappy rash at all. Also, the talc powder is not good for babies because they can inhale the fumes that come off them.
Powder isn't a must. The problem comes when we shake a container of it around, and it's in the air to be inhaled. I love the smell of baby powder, and I would just rub it on their backs. Just using it sparingly and rubbing it in gently will not cause a problem. Filling their diapers with it might. This idea that you can't use it at all is another of those new things that are supposed to make us feel bad as a parent. Babies have had a bit of powder sprinkled on them for generations, and there is no proof that it has hurt them. If the whole world were clean and pure, it might make a difference, but often the same parent who refuses to use baby powder lives in a house with a smoker, or wears heavy perfumes or has an animal...and of which can cause allergies.


Use common sense. If you want t bit of powder, pick one with cornstarch or a medicated talc, and use it sparingly. Don't just dust the baby though, rub it in to the area you want to feel dryer for your babe.
At my daughters nine month check up last week my dr said never to use it (b/c she had some on when he examined her) Something about it getting in their lungs. I personally am going to continue putting on her after her baths. For me it was a fond memory as a kid with my mom and we put on a lot and I have no problems. I did wait until she was about 3 months old to start putting it on her.





You can't use corn starch on girls!!!!
if ur talking about baby powder i wouldnt really use it cause when u do the particles that fly up iin the air can harm the baby, get the roll on type, i just had my daughter and i had to go thru 2 classes for a new time mom and they talked about that and said that it can possibly harm the baby,


although i cant tell u what to do, do what ur mom instinct tells u to do.
The latest I heard is that regular talcum powder shouldn't be used by anyone. Supposedly, it's similar to asbestos somehow in its affects on the lungs. I never used any powder on my son. If you feel like it's necessary use pure cornstarch or prepared powder made from cornstarch.
the only time we use it is at night after our son gets a bath. We just put it in ';his diaper rash area'; after we give him a bath and no more diaper rash. He's 9 months old now and we were using it some when he was just over a month old (when he came home from the hospital) mainly for heat rash at that time though.
Is there really a reason anyone needs to use it? I mean if your child has diaper rash they make creams the only reason i can think people would use it is for diaper rash..they say now not to use it period because it will get in there lungs although my mother used it on me and im perfectly healthy but i have no plans of using it on my 5 month old !!
I'm not sure of when, but when you do start only use the cornstarch kind, not talc. The talc is bad for their lungs if inhaled.





I used it sometimes if my baby's butt looked irritated or red. The medicated cornstarch variety, I think with aloe.
I only use it after the bath to ensure his bum is totally dry before I put the diaper on, other than that I just wipe and if it looks red or irritated i will use a little bit of vaseline or a cream and if it looks relaly bad in the creases I use diaper rash cream! :)
I never used it. It's really not necessary, and sometimes it can irritate the baby because it can float through the air and be inhaled. We were given some and it just sat and sat. I did use diaper rash cream when necessary, though.
You don't have to use it at all if it isn't necessary. If baby is hot or itchy or chafing, you can use a little bit, but be sure it is cornstarch based, not talc. Talc can cause respiratory problems.
I don't use it. I think it is unnecessary period. You don't really need to use it at all, and I don't think there is a proper age to start...but it's been said that using it around baby can cause breathing problems.
It is safe to use Cornstarch powder once the circumcision if any is healed. It is the talc powder that is not recomended because it has been shown to cause cancer... not the cornstarch.
I probably started at about 1 month old. I dont use it at every change either, just when I think he needs it. Of course as the weather is getting warmer, I use it a lot more. I dont want him uncomfortable.
It's really not recommended at all any more. Here's some of the reasons why:





http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bsafe鈥?/a>
I only used it if it looked like he was getting red in the diaper area and it seems to help the redness go away and not develope into diaper rash.
Don't use powder. The powder can be inhaled into the lungs. Powder is no longer recommended.
Don't use powder. The baby can inhale it and become sick. The nurses told me to not use it at all. It is really not necessary.
I started using it with my son right away...we use Johnson's and Johnson's pure cornstarch. It helps everything to stay dry...and smells good...not to mention prevents diaper rash!
Well, they say now not to use powder because it gets in their lungs! I'm not sure if this age changes or not? But I think I'd stay clear of it?
I was told to wait a few weeks, to let her lungs develop. I ended up never starting.
I started when my baby was about 3 months or so. But then I noticed it caused for her skin to dry out and pimple so we stopped.
I never started to use it and my son never had a diaper rash.

No comments:

Post a Comment