Monday, December 28, 2009

What are the proportions of the spices for making a curry powder ?

Curry Powder is based largely on four spices: coriander, cumin, fenugreek and turmeric, with the possibility of many other ingredients being included. Although most westerners are not familiar with Ajwain Seed ( similar to Celery Seed ) and Kalonji ( also known as Black Seed ), I want to incorporate these heal giving seeds in a curry powder mix to use while Im driving on the road through cold Newfoundland, to put in my vegetable soups along the way ! I also want to use cinnamon, cloves, ginger, black pepper, mustard seeds, hing and cayenne.What are the proportions of the spices for making a curry powder ?
I am a former chef from Canada, I still lived in Toronto ON, and it can be a matter of taste, I mix a blend of my own, I buy alot of whole spices and grind them in a old coffee grinder, in Newfoundland you many have trouble getting the really exotic ones, I also grind my own garam masala, and I use up to 20 spices for Indian curry powder and slightly less for my west indian types.





I actually fry the Ajwain seeds, black mustard, nigella and curry leaves with my aromatic veg, if you add them to the curry powder you will not get the same effect or flavour. Where possible get whole spices, I know there are Bulk Barns in St Johns and go to the Walmart or Zellers in town and get yourself a coffee grinder, toast all the seed sand other whole spices, then grind them fresh when making the curry's.

No comments:

Post a Comment